Bespoke Software Development - ActiveX
The StyleTech development team have been creating bespoke software developments using ActiveX since 1998.
Microsoft ActiveX is a software framework that adapts the Microsoft Component Object Model (COM) and Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) technologies for a network or web-based implementation. Microsoft ActiveX was first introduced in 1996 and it was intended to run on non-Microsoft operating systems, but in practice most ActiveX controls only run on Windows and x86 based processors.
Today, many applications that were written with ActiveX still exist and operate. StyleTech can assist with the continued maintenance and development of these systems by:
- Understanding the system codebase
- Implementing any necessary bug fixes
- Introducing modern security practices
- Improving the responsiveness of the system
- Upgrading the database engine
- Implementing screen design improvements
- Providing on-going system support
- Providing on-going system development
- Producing and implementing a disaster / recovery plan
Compared with JavaBeans, Microsoft ActiveX controls support more programming languages, but JavaBeans supports more platforms. ActiveX controls do have support in many rapid application development technologies (such as Active Template Library, Delphi, Visual Basic, Windows Forms) which enables developers to quickly embed the functionality of the ActiveX control into their application.